KRS 158.030---any child who is five years of age or who may become five years of age by August 1st may enter a public kindergarten; any child who is six years old or may become six years of age by August 1st shall attend public school.
Kindergarten is compulsory. All children must attend.
A child/parent must provide the following:
- A legal birth certificate or other reliable proof* of age and identification
- Proof of residency **
- A Social Security Card
- An up-to-date immunization certificate
- School entrance physical exam on a Kentucky form
- Current eye exam by an optometrist/ophthalmologist
- Dental screening or examination on a Kentucky form
- No phone registrations
* Types of "other reliable proof" of a student's identity and age may include but not be limited to Social Security card; passport; military identification or immigration card; baptismal certificate; copy of the record of baptism – notarized or duly certified and which reflects the date of the student’s birth; recording of student’s name and birth in a family Bible or other religious text; notarized statement from the parents or another relative or guardian as to the date of the student’s birth; prior school record indicating the date of the student’s birth; driver’s license or learner’s permit; adoption record; any religious record authorized by a religious official; affidavit of identity and age; any government document or court record reflecting the date of the student’s birth; oral proof when the native language of a parent or guardian is not a written language.
** Proof of Residency includes County Property Tax Bill, Mortgage Statement, Lease/Rental agreement, or a utility bill in your name for the current month showing the residence property address; and at least one of the following: *Proof of residency from the county registrar of voters; or *Current vehicle registration showing residency property address; or *current driver's license; or *other bill addressed to you at your residence address. Your application will NOT be processed and your student will NOT be given an enrollment for the upcoming school year until/unless you verify the address. NOTE: If legal custody of a child is split between two parents, in addition to the documents listed above, you must also attach a certified copy of the court order so primary residency can be established. You are responsible to immediately inform the school of any changes to the court order.
STUDENTS MUST REGISTER IN THE SCHOOL DISTRICT THAT IS THE LEGAL/PERMANENT RESIDENCE OF THE LEGAL GUARDIAN.